While technology ushers in opportunity, best practice integration remains challenging. Learn to implement digital pedagogies by promoting collaboration, bolstering purposeful inquiry, and anchoring student learning for optimized outcomes.
Chapter 3: Personalizing and Globalizing Content by Making Authentic Connections
Personalizing and Globalizing Content by Making Authentic Connections
Figure 3.0 presents an all-too-familiar math probe of a fifth-grade classroom. This probe was administered to a heterogeneous group of students at an elementary school. In this math probe, students were orally read the following directions:
- Fold a blank sheet of paper into four sections.
- In the upper left corner box, draw one and one half.
- In the upper right corner box, make a circle divided into eight sections. Color in three fourths of the circle.
- In the lower left corner box, add the numbers three hundredths, thirty, and three.
- In the lower right corner box, subtract one from a million.
We used this same probe with hundreds of other fifth-grade students throughout the country, ...