The Sage Course Companion on Human Resource Management is an accessible introduction to the subject that will help readers to extend their understanding of key concepts and enhance their thinking skills in line with course requirements. It provides support on how to revise for exams and prepare for and write assessed pieces. Readers are encouraged not only to think like an HRM student but also to think about the subject critically.
Designed to compliment existing textbooks for the course, the companion provides:
- Easy access to the key themes in HRM
- Helpful summaries of the approach taken by the main course textbooks and their strengths and weaknesses
- Guidance on the essential study skills required to pass the course
- Sample exam questions and answers, with advice on common themes that must always be addressed, how to use information effectively and pitfalls to advoid
- Themes that run throughout the major points covered by the book
- Taking it Further sections that suggest how readers can extent their thinking beyond the ‘received wisdom’
Much more than a revision guide for undergraduates, it is an essential tool that will help readers take their course understanding to new levels and help them achieve success in their undergraduate course.
Chapter 3.5: Exam Tips
Handling Your Nerves
Exam nerves are not unusual and it has been concluded that test anxiety arises because of the perception that your performance is being evaluated, that the consequences are likely to be serious and that you are working under the pressure of a time restriction. However, if you focus on the task at hand rather than on feeding a downward negative spiral in your thinking patterns, this will help you to keep your nerves under control. In the run-up to you exams you can practice some simple relaxation techniques that will help you to bring stress under control.
Practices That May Help Reduce or Buffer the Effects of Exam Stress
- Listening to music.
- Going for a brisk walk.
- Simple breathing exercises.
- Some muscle relaxation.
- Watching a movie.
- Enjoying ...