‘This book represents a major contribution to the literature of several professions. Presenting an account both rich and broad, the author provides a summary and overview of ‘hope’ from philosophical, nursing, psychotherapeutic and research perspectives.’
Ian Townsend, Associate Lecturer in Counselling, Blackburn College
Engendering ‘hope’ is at the heart of counselling and psychotherapy but, until now, little attempt has been made to actually explain howand why it may be fostered. Understanding the central role of hope in healing and personal growth is an essential element of counsellor training and practice. It forms the basis of the therapeutic relationship and is integral to the very aims and motivation of counselling.
Keeping theory firmly grounded in real-life practice, this book explores:
The nature of hope and how it is conceptualised from different theoretical perspectives.; The common psychotherapeutic practices which engender hope and how they translate into effective practice; The role of the counsellor in the process; How to manage expectations and work effectively with clients suffering with severe and enduring psychological challenges; Hope measures, and how to be a research-informed practitioner.
Packed full of case examples, practical exercise and points for reflection, this book is essential reading for any training or practising healthcare professional looking to understand the role of hope in the process of change.
- Section 1: Understanding the Nature of Hope
- Chapter 1: Introducing Hope
- Chapter 2: Theoretical Perspectives on Hope
- Chapter 3: The Emergence of Hope in the Literature of the Helping Professions
- Chapter 4: How Different Theories of Counselling and Psychotherapy Encourage Hope
- Chapter 5: Despair and Anxiety as Loss of Hope
- Section 2: The Practice of Hope
- Chapter 6: The Therapist's Hope
- Chapter 7: Hope in Therapy: Practical Strategies
- Chapter 8: Hope for Those with Severe and Enduring Psychological Challenges
- Section 3: The Research-Informed Practitioner
- Chapter 9: Research, Theory, and Practice
- Chapter 10: Hope Measures and Psychotherapy Research
- Chapter 11: Conclusion