- Subject index
“A definite read for students in counseling programs for improving the lives of older adults!” –Amy Gray-Graves, Webster University Helping Relationships with Older Adults: From Theory to Practice examines the fundamental theoretical perspectives of the aging process with an emphasis on the healthy aspects of aging. Taking a comprehensive approach, the text addresses various therapeutic methods as it highlights the strengths and resiliency of the older population. Exercises and case studies demonstrate key concepts and promote skill development by allowing students to experience the various challenges in the lives of older clients. Helping Relationships with Older Adults: From Theory to Practice is part of the Counseling and Professional Identity Series. To learn more about each text in the Series, please visit www.sagepub.com/cpiseries.
Chapter 4: Health Challenges That Impact the Well-Being of Older Adults
Health Challenges That Impact the Well-Being of Older Adults
“We are not victims of aging, sickness, and death. These are part of scenery, not the seer, who is immune to any form of change. This seer is the spirit, the expression of eternal being.”
After reading this chapter, you will be able to
- Analyze the impact of activities of daily living on functioning
- Describe the cardiovascular diseases experienced by older adults and their effects on emotional health
- Summarize the symptoms and treatment for diabetes, as well as consequences for mental well-being
- Examine what cancer is and identify strategies for prevention, screening, and treatment, as it impacts overall health
- Differentiate between the types of arthritis and their treatment and their influence ...