This book takes students on a guided tour of the gang phenomenon through history, as well as current representations of gangs in literature and media. It includes: - A detailed global overview of gang culture, covering, amongst others, Glasgow, Chicago, Hong Kong, and Shanghai - A chapter on researching gangs which covers quantitative and qualitative methods - Extra chapter features such as key terms, chapter overviews, study questions and further reading suggestions. Fraser brings together gang-literature and critical perspectives in a refreshingly new way, exploring ‘gangs’ as a social group with a long and fascinating history.
- Chapter 1: Defining Gangs
- Chapter 2: Researching Gangs
- Chapter 3: Histories of Gangs
- Chapter 4: Conceptualising Gangs
- Chapter 5: Social Harm Perspectives
- Chapter 6: Feminist Perspectives
- Chapter 7: Cultural Perspectives
- Chapter 8: Gangs and Globalisation
- Chapter 9: Decentring the World of Gangs
- Chapter 10: Responding to the Global Gang
- Chapter 11: Conclusion: Beyond the Gang?