An expert perspective on 21st century education
What can you learn on a cell phone? Almost anything! How does that concept fit with our traditional system of education? It doesn't. Best-selling author and futurist Marc Prensky's book of essays challenges educators to “reboot” and make the changes necessary to prepare students for 21st century careers. His “bottom-up” vision is based on interviews with young people and includes their ideas about what they need from teachers, schools, and education. Also featured are easy-to-do, high-impact classroom strategies that help what he calls “digital natives” acquire “digital wisdom.” This thought-provoking text is organized into two sections that address: Rethinking education; 21st century learning and technology in the classroom (including games, YouTube, and more)
In addition to valuable knowledge, this compelling collection offers inspiration, new perspectives, and ideas that work. Our educational context has changed, and a new context demands new thinking. This book will broaden your mind, spark new insights regarding how and what you teach, and reshape your vision of 21st century education.
Part 1: Rethinking Education
- Chapter 1: The Reformers Are Leaving Our Schools in the 20th Century
- Chapter 2: On Learning
- Chapter 3: Education as Rocket Science
- Chapter 4: Turning on the Lights
- Chapter 5: Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants
- Chapter 6: The Emerging Online Life of the Digital Native
- Chapter 7: Young Minds, Fast Times
- Chapter 8: Blame Our Young? Or Use Their Passion!
- Chapter 9: To Educate, We Must Listen
- Chapter 10: Bringing the Future to School: The Prensky Challenge
- Chapter 11: Open Letter to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Questions for Reflection
Part 2: 21st Century Learning, and Technology in the Classroom
- Chapter 12: The Role of Technology in Teaching and the Classroom
- Chapter 13: Backup Education?
- Chapter 14: Simple Changes in Current Practices May Save Our Schools
- Chapter 15: The Longer View: Why YouTube Matters
- Chapter 16: Beyond the Lemonade Stand
- Chapter 17: Types of Learning and Possible Game Styles
- Chapter 18: On Being Disrespected
- Chapter 19: Let's Be “Digital Multipliers”
- Chapter 20: Search Versus Research
- Chapter 21: Simulation Nation
- Chapter 22: What Can You Learn from a Cell Phone? Almost Anything!
- Chapter 23: The True 21st Century Literacy Is Programming