Critically examining the fears that commonly surround young children's play involving digital technologies, this book seeks to address each of the negatives and present the positive possibilities of technology when it comes to early childhood. Using observations of children in play and cutting-edge research, this book will empower students and build their confidence so that they are able to challenge perceptions and think creatively about how they can use technology. Each chapter includes case studies, research spotlights, activities and annotated further reading to help students develop their critical thinking, deepen their research and connect theory with practice.
Chapter 2: Digital Technologies and Social Interaction
Digital Technologies and Social Interaction
In this chapter we explore the relationship between digital technologies and social interaction in the context of children’s play. This chapter will:
- situate digital technologies in a sociocultural context, and invite you to explore specific technologies through the concept of affordances;
- explore two particular aspects of social interaction that emerge as important in the context of children’s play: collaborative creativity and affective alignment;
- examine how different digital technologies appear to feed into instances of collaborative creativity and affective alignment between individuals as they engage in play;
- consider the argument that the constant connectedness of online platforms gives rise to particular forms of instant social interaction that inhibit deeper forms of connection;
- discuss the counter-argument that online platforms actually enable children ...