Developmental Psychology provides student readers with essential help in all aspects of their first course in developmental psychology, including advice on revising exams, preparing and writing course assessment materials, and enhancing and progressing their knowledge and skills in line with course requirements on a developmental psychology course.
Chapter 3.7: Tips on Interpreting Essay and Exam Questions
Tips on Interpreting Essay and Exam Questions
What This Section will Give You – in Addressing Exam and Essay Questions. How to:
- focus on the issues that are relevant and central
- read questions carefully and take account of all the words
- produce a balanced critique in your outline structures
- screen for the key words that will shape your response
- focus on different shades of meaning between ‘critique’, ‘evaluate’, ‘discuss’ and ‘compare and contrast’
What do You See?
[Page 164]The suggested explanation for visual illusions is the inappropriate use of cues – that is, we try to interpret three-dimensional figures in the real world with the limitations of a two-dimensional screen (the retina in the eye). We use cues such as shade, texture, size, background, etc., to ...