Today’s secondary classrooms are increasingly diverse places and skilled English teachers need to be able to develop flexible teaching strategies that can be adapted to best serve diverse learners with divergent needs. This textbook for pre-service teachers gives them pragmatic guidance on the major aspects of literacy teaching, and how to draw insight research and apply it in diverse classrooms. Key coverage includes: • The fundamental aspects of teaching reading and writing to adolescent learners. • How to intelligently select and use literature with secondary students. • Multi-literacies and the use of technology in English teaching. • Assessment strategies for the classroom. • Teaching techniques for developing reading comprehension. This is essential reading for anyone training to teach English in secondary classrooms, and for recently qualified teachers looking to sharpen their practice.
Chapter 7: The Teaching of Reading
The Teaching of Reading
- To understand the reading process including the ‘big six’.
- To learn about appropriate strategies for teaching reading for adolescents.
- To develop knowledge around reading in the content areas.
- What makes an effective reader?
- What are appropriate strategies for teaching reading for adolescents?
- How can the teaching of reading be improved in the content areas?
A simple view of reading, teaching and learning approaches for reading, reading and adolescents, reading in the content areas.
Reading is a crucial skill for people to engage with, and operate in, the world today. By reading we mean the ability to decode and comprehend a range of text types including those with images, sound and movement as a component of the text’s meaning.
A simple view ...