This ten-session program improves adolescent girls' confidence, self-esteem and self-awareness, encouraging students to develop problem-solving strategies about peer pressure, sex, substance abuse, and being a parent.
Session 4: Peer Pressure
The facilitator can outline the main aims of this session as follows:
- For students to understand peer pressure and examine situations in which it is used.
- For students to be able to distinguish between passive, aggressive and assertive behaviour and understand the importance of being assertive in peer pressure situations.
- For students to reflect on how they would cope and deploy assertive behaviours in a variety of situations.
It will initially be helpful to consider the concept of peer pressure and perhaps to offer students a couple of definitions as follows:
- Peer pressure is when you feel vulnerable to giving in to the opinions of others.
- Peer pressure is when you feel pressure to go along with the crowd when you don't really ...