‘Developing Early Literacy presents an interesting range of literacy-related topics which address issues of current importance to early years practice and, in places, question current thinking. There is an excellent balance of theoretical background and case study examples which would make this a relevant and practical text for both students and early years professionals.’
Chapter 11: ‘This Is How We Teach Reading in our School’
- to raise awareness of how systematic synthetic phonics has become a key aspect of the teaching of early reading
- to explore different perspectives on the teaching of early reading.
- the government initiatives that have led to the introduction of systematic synthetic phonics as the prime approach to developing early reading
- the difference between decoding and reading
- reading for meaning
- early reading approaches
- using case study material as the basis for discussion about the teaching of early reading.
In 2006, the Independent Review of the Teaching of Early Reading (Rose, 2006) was published. The review was undertaken by Sir Jim Rose and ...