‘Developing Early Literacy presents an interesting range of literacy-related topics which address issues of current importance to early years practice and, in places, question current thinking. There is an excellent balance of theoretical background and case study examples which would make this a relevant and practical text for both students and early years professionals.’
Chapter 7: Diverse Approaches to Language Development
- to explore theory and pedagogy associated with language development
- to identify the importance of the home environment for language development
- to use case studies to demonstrate how pedagogy can differ from setting to setting.
- how children develop their communication and language skills
- the importance of early home experiences in relation to children's later development of literacy skills
- two case studies, in which the schools implement two very different approaches to language development.
[Page 103]It could be said that promoting language development is one of the key aspects of our role as practitioners working with children, whatever their age. Literacy and language are inextricably linked and early literacy needs to promote an awareness of the power ...