‘Developing Early Literacy presents an interesting range of literacy-related topics which address issues of current importance to early years practice and, in places, question current thinking. There is an excellent balance of theoretical background and case study examples which would make this a relevant and practical text for both students and early years professionals.’
Chapter 6: Literacy and Diversity
- to discuss a range of strategies to support children's diverse learning needs in early literacy
- to emphasise the importance of making literacy real for children and enabling them to make links with their own lives
- to provide practical examples in the form of case studies.
- making literacy real in non-fiction and fiction
- using literature and film effectively to support diverse needs
- an examination of a range of pedagogical strategies, including the use of paired and group talk, shared reading and writing frames.
[Page 84]A major challenge for all teachers is catering for the diverse learning needs of all the pupils in a class. It is a delight to have planned and taught a lesson where all the children appear ...