Create inclusive educational environments that benefit ALL learners! As schools become more diverse with students of differing abilities and needs, this self-reflective and action-oriented guide helps you create and support more inclusive schools and classrooms that intentionally educate all students. Using the Five Essential Elements of Cultural Proficiency as a roadmap, this book presents: • Students’ learning differences as just that – differences rather than deficits • Strategies that show you how to break though the common barriers to culturally proficient and inclusive schooling • Assessments that gauge your awareness and show you how to best serve every student’s needs
Part I: Commitment to ALL!
- Chapter 1: What are Equity and Access Gaps? Why Do They Persist?
- Chapter 2: Using the Tools of Cultural Proficiency and the Vision and Practices of Inclusive Education as a Conceptual Framework
- Chapter 3: Barriers to Culturally Proficient Inclusive Education
- Chapter 4: Overcoming Barriers and Creating Opportunities for Learning
Part II: How to Become Inclusive Using the Five Essential Elements of Cultural Proficiency
- Chapter 5: Assessing Cultural Knowledge Through Authentic and Differentiated Strategies
- Chapter 6: Valuing Diversity Through Inclusiveness
- Chapter 7: Managing the Dynamics of Diversity Through Collaboration, Creative Problem Solving, and Conflict Management
- Chapter 8: Adapting to Diversity Through Advocacy and Universal Design for Learning
- Chapter 9: Institutionalizing Cultural Change
- Chapter 10: Engaging in Action: When All Means ALL!