- Subject index
Connects theory to practice while presenting foundational teaching and assessment practices for CLDE students
Practical in nature and designed with an eye toward universal design for learning, this text brings together foundational information from special education and ELL/bilingual fields to help teachers address the specific needs of culturally and linguistically diverse exceptional (CLDE) students.
Case studies from teachers, students, and parents describe the personal challenges of CLDE students; Authentic student language examples illustrate the concepts described and make practical connections to the research discussed; Activities for further understanding allow students to review key points and connects theory to classroom practice
Ancillaries available at http://www.sagepub.com/grassi
Password-protected instructor resources include PowerPoint lecture slides, sample syllabi, and Web resources.; An open-access student study site provides online video clips of teachers in ...
Chapter 9: Teaching Strategies: An Integrated Content-Language Approach
Teaching Strategies: An Integrated Content-Language Approach
- Key strategies for accessing the content and for aiding the language acquisition process of CLDE students
- Using the 3-way model to make the content comprehensible
- Front-loading and emphasizing key academic vocabulary and key concepts of the lesson
- Accessing and explicitly teaching the content and cultural schemata needed for the lesson
- Allowing students to clarify the subject matter in their L1
- Helping students organize and access academic information