- Subject index
Connects theory to practice while presenting foundational teaching and assessment practices for CLDE students
Practical in nature and designed with an eye toward universal design for learning, this text brings together foundational information from special education and ELL/bilingual fields to help teachers address the specific needs of culturally and linguistically diverse exceptional (CLDE) students.
Case studies from teachers, students, and parents describe the personal challenges of CLDE students; Authentic student language examples illustrate the concepts described and make practical connections to the research discussed; Activities for further understanding allow students to review key points and connects theory to classroom practice
Ancillaries available at http://www.sagepub.com/grassi
Password-protected instructor resources include PowerPoint lecture slides, sample syllabi, and Web resources.; An open-access student study site provides online video clips of teachers in ...
Chapter 12: Strategies for Teaching Reading
Strategies for Teaching Reading
- Using explicit reading instruction within the content areas and general education classroom for CLDE students
- Developing strategies to increase vocabulary, oral language proficiency, comprehensibility of the text, grammar, and language study
- Developing strategies to increase background knowledge
- Developing strategies for reading instruction
- Developing strategies to help students analyze, organize, and interact with the content of the text