“An alien spaceship crash landed in my playground today” For one primary school in England, this was not an ordinary day. It was a fabulous day of inspiration, writing, drawing, discovering and learning for the pupils, the staff and the parents. But the best thing of all? The only truly out of the ordinary thing was the alien spaceship. So how do you make creativity a more everyday part of primary teaching? Teachers and trainees agree that creativity is a fabulous thing. But to get creative approaches into everyday teaching, you need to tackle the question - what is creativity? This book explores this question in an accessible and practical way. It helps trainees to do more than ‘know it when they see it’, by helping them to understand the separate and very diverse elements of creativity. The third edition of this popular text retains key material, but it has been updated and revised to include two new chapters on the creative curriculum, along with links throughout to the Standards and the new National Curriculum. This book will help you enhance your teaching so you and the children in your class can be: fellow explorers, adventurous discoverers and spontaneous investigators!
Part 1: Setting the Scene
- Chapter 1: Changes in the Landscape for Creativity in Education
- Chapter 2: The Art of the Possible: Creative Principled Leadership
- Chapter 3: Creative Teachers and Creative Teaching
- Chapter 4: Play and Playfulness in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Chapter 5: Creativity and Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development
- Chapter 6: The Importance of Informal Learning to Children's Creative Education
Part 2: Creativity in the Core Curriculum
- Chapter 7: Creativity and Literacy
- Chapter 8: Creative Mathematics
- Chapter 9: What is Creativity in Science Education?
Part 3: Creativity in the Foundation Curriculum
- Chapter 10: Thinking about Creativity: Developing Ideas and Making Things Happen
- Chapter 11: Creativity and Primary Art and Design Education
- Chapter 12: What has Creativity Got to do with Citizenship Education?
- Chapter 13: Creativity in Primary Design and Technology
- Chapter 14: Creative Primary Geography
- Chapter 15: Creativity in Primary History
- Chapter 16: Creativity in the Music Curriculum
- Chapter 17: Children, Creativity and Physical Education