This book considers the necessary structures and processes that must inform creative, humanistic practice for it to be a safe, ethical therapeutic framework. Packed with reflective exercises, summaries, case examples and step-by-step guidance, this book takes the reader from establishing the therapeutic relationship to worst-case scenarios like complaints procedures and legal action.
- Chapter 1: Contemporary Therapeutic Practice
- Therapy and Ethics
- ‘Practical Wisdom’ in Therapy
- Therapy and Consumerism
- Practising Therapy Ethically, Creatively – and ‘Safely’
- Chapter 2: Cornerstones of Therapy
- Balancing Safety and Creativity
- The Philosophical and Theoretical Frame
- Boundaries in Therapeutic Practice
- The Therapeutic Relationship
- Methodologies or Styles of Intervention
- The Therapist's Need for Self-Care and Self-Compassion
- Chapter 3: Creating and Maintaining Therapy Agreements
- Making an Initial Agreement with Your Client
- Personalising the Therapeutic Agreement
- Re-Contracting: The Review and Renewal of Agreements
- Ending a Therapeutic Agreement
- Chapter 4: Framing the Therapeutic Process
- An Aesthetics of Therapy: The Language of Frames
- The Environmental Frame
- The Contractual Frame and the Therapeutic Alliance
- The Embodied Relational Frame
- Extending Therapeutic Frames
- Chapter 5: Dealing with Mistakes in Therapeutic Practice
- The Inevitability of Making Mistakes
- Minimising Mistakes in the Therapeutic Field
- Ethical Review as a Support for Safe and Creative Practice
- How Complaints Can Arise
- The Role of Mediation in Resolving Complaints
- Chapter 6: Reviewing Your Practice and Looking Forward
- Conducting a Personal and Professional Practice Review
- What Kind of Therapist Am I?
- How Can I Take an Overview of My Practice?
- How Do I Balance Safety and Creativity in My Everyday Practice?
- How Well Supported Would I Be If Something Went Wrong?
- Am I Developing Practical Wisdom as a Therapist?
- Resource 1: Card Index Summary
- Resource 2: Initial Meeting and Assessment Proforma
- Resource 3: Process Session Notes Proforma
- Resource 4: Process Session Notes – An Example
- Resource 5: Contract Example A: Health Centre Counselling Contract
- Resource 6: Contract Example B: Psychotherapy Contract
- Resource 7: Contract Example C: Hillside Therapy Centre: Client Agreement
- Resource 8: Contract Example D: Jones & Co. Employee Assistance Programme About Your Counselling
- Resource 9: Therapeutic Executor – UKAHPP Guidelines
- Resource 10: Extracts from the UKAHPP Complaints Procedure