- Subject index
‘It is full of good sense, a treasure chest of helpful ideas which have the credibility of being grounded in case-study material, and in the experience of the authors, two of whom are practising headteachers. The book sets out the principles underpinning the learning school, but offers also a strong pragmatic focus and is organized so that it can be dipped into and something worthwhile easily found…It will support change and improvement in the professional practices involved in making a school a stimulating learning environment for adults as well as students' - Dr Martin J Coles, Assistant Director, National College for School Leadership The ‘learning school’ described in this book suggests an alternative to the preoccupation with tests, targets, and leadership from above, and focuses ...
Chapter 8: Creating the Contexts for Effective Student Learning
Creating the Contexts for Effective Student Learning
This chapter considers the following questions:
- How can we construct a curriculum that encourages learning to flourish?
- How can we use learning outside the curriculum to enhance the positive learning ethos?
- How can we have a flexible approach to the curriculum that allows for ‘personalised’ learning?
- How can we create a curriculum which will produce students with the skills, knowledge and experience that the twenty-first century workplace demands?
- How can we make the curriculum flexible enough to meet the needs of learners of various ages and stages of development?
Creating a Curriculum Structure Which Liberates Learning
Employers of the twenty-first century are showing more dissatisfaction with how schools are preparing ...