- Subject index
‘It is full of good sense, a treasure chest of helpful ideas which have the credibility of being grounded in case-study material, and in the experience of the authors, two of whom are practising headteachers. The book sets out the principles underpinning the learning school, but offers also a strong pragmatic focus and is organized so that it can be dipped into and something worthwhile easily found…It will support change and improvement in the professional practices involved in making a school a stimulating learning environment for adults as well as students' - Dr Martin J Coles, Assistant Director, National College for School Leadership The ‘learning school’ described in this book suggests an alternative to the preoccupation with tests, targets, and leadership from above, and focuses ...
Chapter 5: Teachers as Learners
Teachers as Learners
This chapter considers the following questions:
- Why is it important for teachers to understand the way they learn?
- What training and support do teachers and other staff need to facilitate optimum learning for students?
- How can research-based practice impact on the learning and attainment of students?
- What part do mentors and informal networking play in teachers' learning and classroom pedagogy?
- How can we create the culture of reflective practice and lifelong learning in our staffrooms?
The national reforms in many countries during the 1990s increased competition between schools. In this context, professional development ...