- Subject index
‘It is full of good sense, a treasure chest of helpful ideas which have the credibility of being grounded in case-study material, and in the experience of the authors, two of whom are practising headteachers. The book sets out the principles underpinning the learning school, but offers also a strong pragmatic focus and is organized so that it can be dipped into and something worthwhile easily found…It will support change and improvement in the professional practices involved in making a school a stimulating learning environment for adults as well as students' - Dr Martin J Coles, Assistant Director, National College for School Leadership The ‘learning school’ described in this book suggests an alternative to the preoccupation with tests, targets, and leadership from above, and focuses ...
Chapter 10: Assessment for Learning
Assessment for Learning
This chapter considers the following questions:
- How can we ensure that the way we assess students helps not hinders their learning?
- How can we make assessment an integral part of learning?
- Why is formative assessment so much more crucial than summative?
- How can students in the classroom understand what progress they are making?
- How can assessment for learning be integrated into the learning school ethos?
Does Assessment Enhance Learning?
Assessment has been used by most governments in the second half of the twentieth century as a central tool in efforts to raise standards of measurable achievement. Examination ...