KEY FEATURES: Required 2016 CACREP standards for CMH Counseling programs are covered. Chapter authors are leading counseling writers, and many are practicing CMH counselors. Chapter topics apply theory to real-world issues of practice, such as paperwork and medications. Case studies and discussion questions afford students opportunities to apply what they read to practical situations. Evidence-based treatments, neuroscience, and other cutting-edge topics reflect the currency of the text.Bolded key concepts help students to focus their reading and learning.
Chapter 14: The Applications of Neuroscience to Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Applications of Neuroscience to Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Understand the function of key areas in the brain
- Describe how the brain structure and connections change in response to internal and external factors
- Explain how neuroscience applies to the therapeutic relationship
- Identify techniques for working with clients that arise from principles of neuroscience
- Understand what neurofeedback is and how it works
- Explain the evidence base for the effectiveness of neurofeedback
- Identify the training required to practice neurofeedback, certification processes, and ethical standards for practice
- Explore strategies for integrating neurofeedback into counseling practice
[Page 364]There are numerous ways, both ...