KEY FEATURES: Required 2016 CACREP standards for CMH Counseling programs are covered. Chapter authors are leading counseling writers, and many are practicing CMH counselors. Chapter topics apply theory to real-world issues of practice, such as paperwork and medications. Case studies and discussion questions afford students opportunities to apply what they read to practical situations. Evidence-based treatments, neuroscience, and other cutting-edge topics reflect the currency of the text.Bolded key concepts help students to focus their reading and learning.
Chapter 12: Wellness, Self-Care, and Burnout Prevention
Wellness, Self-Care, and Burnout Prevention
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Identify the high-touch hazards of clinical mental health (CMH) counseling
- Understand burnout and strategies for preventing burnout
- Analyze the impacts of vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue
- Formulate a personal plan for career-sustaining behaviors
- Apply what you learned to a case study
CMH counselors are highly trained professionals who, when licensed, are endorsed by the state in which they practice as someone who can provide high-quality mental health care. There are many rewarding and challenging personal and professional outcomes as a result of this training and work. By virtue of their role, CMH counselors come ...