KEY FEATURES: Required 2016 CACREP standards for CMH Counseling programs are covered. Chapter authors are leading counseling writers, and many are practicing CMH counselors. Chapter topics apply theory to real-world issues of practice, such as paperwork and medications. Case studies and discussion questions afford students opportunities to apply what they read to practical situations. Evidence-based treatments, neuroscience, and other cutting-edge topics reflect the currency of the text.Bolded key concepts help students to focus their reading and learning.
Chapter 8: Psychiatry and Psychopharmacology
Psychiatry and Psychopharmacology
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Articulate the major classes of psychotropic medications
- Understand how psychotropic medications affect the brain
- Understand how psychotropic medications can enhance client well-being
- Understand common side effects to psychotropic medications
- Understand the importance of collaboration with psychiatrists and other medical personnel
- Articulate the importance of an advocate for clients related to medication
- Understand important legal and ethical issues involving psychotropic medications
A 38-year-old male client came in for counseling after suffering a disabling back injury in his construction business. The injury occurred 3 years earlier, and the client had been in a legal battle with his insurance provider about coverage for his medical expenses. He reported ...