Specifically created to complement the Third Edition of the APSAC Handbook on Child Maltreatment, this collection of 23 carefully selected articles on child abuse and neglect parallels the structure of the Handbook. It is also a great companion to other Sage books, such as Barnett’s Family Violence Across the Lifespan and Miller and Perrin’s Child Maltreatment.
Part I: The Child Protection System in the United States
- Chapter 1: The Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect: Pipe Dreams or Possibilities?
- Chapter 2: Strengthening Social Worker—Client Relationships in Child Protective Services: Addressing Power Imbalances and “Ruptured” Relationships
- Chapter 3: Kinship Care for African American Children: Disproportionate and Disadvantageous
- Chapter 4: Mothers, Men, and Child Protective Services Involvement
- Chapter 5: Is the Adoption and Safe Families Act Influencing Child Welfare Outcomes for Families with Substance Abuse Issues?
- Chapter 6: Pathways to Collaboration: Exploring Values and Collaborative Practice between Child Welfare and Substance Abuse Treatment Fields
- Chapter 7: Depression among Alumni of Foster Care: Decreasing Rates Through Improvement of Experiences in Care
- Chapter 8: Fostering Futures: A Preventive Intervention Program for School-Age Children in Foster Care
- Chapter 9: The Transition from Infertility to Adoption: Perceptions of Lesbian and Heterosexual Couples
Part II: Neglect
- Chapter 10: Measurement of Three Major Subtypes of Child Neglect
- Chapter 11: Understanding the Risks of Child Neglect: An Exploration of Poverty and Parenting Characteristics
- Chapter 12: The Potential for Child Neglect: The Case of Adolescent Mothers and Their Children
- Chapter 13: Parental Substance Abuse and Child Well-Being: A Consideration of Parents' Gender and Coresidence
- Chapter 14: Child Maltreatment Trends in the 1990s: Why Does Neglect Differ from Sexual and Physical Abuse?
- Chapter 15: Preventing Child Abuse: A Meta-Analysis of Parent Training Programs
- Chapter 16: Recognizing and Treating Uncommon Behavioral and Emotional Disorders in Children and Adolescents Who Have Been Severely Maltreated: Reactive Attachment Disorder
- Chapter 17: The Co-Occurrence of Child Maltreatment and Domestic Violence: Examining Both Neglect and Child Physical Abuse
Part III: Physical Abuse
- Chapter 18: Child Physical Abuse: Prevalence, Characteristics, Predictors, and Beliefs about Parent-Child Violence in South Asian, Middle Eastern, East Asian, and Latina Women in the United States
Part IV: Child Sexual Abuse
- Chapter 19: An Exploratory Study of Victim Resistance in Child Sexual Abuse: Offender Modus Operandi and Victim Characteristics
Part V: Investigation and Substantiation of Neglect and Abuse