Drawn from best practices, this casebook provides a practical road map and real-life case studies to help students develop the necessary skills to design, negotiate, and manage domestic and international alliances. Editors Jean-Louis Schaan and Micheál J. Kelly have organized this book around the four major phases in the alliance formation and management process—strategic rationale, partner selection, negotiation, and implementation.
- Chapter 1: Strategic Rationale: Should a Firm Build a Strategic Alliance?
- Cambridge Laboratories: Proteomics
- Fishery Products International Ltd.—A New Challenge
- NonStop Yacht, S.L.
- Strategic Direction at http://Quack.com (A)
- Pharma Technologies Inc.
- ALPES S.A.: A Joint Venture Proposal (A)
- Chapter 2: Selecting the Right Partner
- Ben & Jerry's—Japan
- Larson in Nigeria (Revised)
- Privatizing Poland's Telecom Industry: Opportunities and Challenges in the New Economy and E-Business
- Prosoft Systems Canada (A)
- Cameron Auto Parts (A)—Revised
- Chapter 3: Negotiating and Designing an Alliance
- Blue Ridge Spain
- TeqSwitch Inc.: Business in Buenos Aires
- Textron Ltd.
- Nora-Sakari: A Proposed JV in Malaysia (Revised)
- Majestica Hotel in Shanghai?
- Eli Lilly in India: Rethinking the Joint Venture Strategy
- Chapter 4: Implementing Winning Conditions
- Canadian Closures (A)
- Cameco in Kyrgyzstan: Corporate Social Responsibility Abroad
- Wil-Mor Technologies: Is there a Crisis?
- The Wuhan Erie Polymers Joint Venture