Create a schoolwide foundation to ensure academic success for ALL students This useful guide supports the needs of culturally, linguistically, and academically diverse learners and demonstrates how a shared vision can increase student engagement and ensure that not-so-common learners benefit from academic rigor. Taking a system-wide approach, the authors offer educators a model arranged in six distinct yet complementary pathways to improve programs, policies, and practices for diverse learners. This innovative framework includes: Mapping and aligning an integrated curriculum–making the mainstream curricula accessible for all learners Collaborative planning and assessment–pooling intelligence so the whole is greater than the sum of its parts Teaching students explicit learning strategies–empowering students by increasing student-led learning Promoting disciplinary literacy–providing all students with access to pertinent academic language learning Featuring helpful tables that outline key concepts and real-life vignettes from schools that have successfully applied the principles, this book unlocks success for all students.
- Chapter 1: A Shared and Inclusive Vision and Mission
- Chapter 2: Schoolwide Disciplinary Literacy
- Chapter 3: The Mapping and Alignment of an Integrated Curriculum
- Chapter 4: Collaborative Planning, Instruction, and Assessment
- Chapter 5: Teaching Students Explicit Learning Strategies
- Chapter 6: Student Engagement
- Final Thoughts