This comprehensive and accessible textbook overviews the applications of social psychology to a wide range of problems and issues in contemporary society. With internationally respected contributors who survey the major developments in their fields, this practical guide incorporates advice, examples and reading lists. The first part of the book outlines a number of general frameworks that inform the applications of social psychology, namely language, attitudes, decision-making and survey research; Part Two focuses on major behavioural domains, including health and economic behaviour; Part Three explains the relationship between social psychology and social institutions, highlighting, for instance, the media, law and politic
Chapter 12: Social Psychology and the Media
Social Psychology and the Media
- The Media and Social Psychology 312
- The Media and Communication 314
- Media as Research Devices in Social Psychology 315
- Mass Media Contents and Mass Media Impact as Research Topics 319
- Mediated Communication 319
- Research Examples 322
- Final Comments 339
- Further Reading 340
- Do you watch MTV a lot and what has that done to your musical taste?
- Is Rambo dangerous to your health?
- Why did CDs win the battle against the old vinyl disc that fast?
- Why are portable telephones such a big success?
- When James Dean or Kurt Cobain died, what was the role of media coverage?
- How do you feel, when you try to call somebody and unexpectedly encounter a telephone answering machine?
- Do people commit suicide after listening to ...