If you think you know what positive psychology is, think again! This book offers a new integrative vision for making life better that takes in the body and the brain, culture and society, childhood and development… A must read for students.
Chapter 3: The Body and the Brain
The Body and the Brain
There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy.
Learning Objectives – At the End of the Chapter You Will Be Able To…
- Deconstruct the body according to the stratified layers of the LIFE model
- Appreciate the dynamics of the mind–body relationship
- Approach wellbeing from a biochemical perspective
- Reflect on the role of genetics in psychological outcomes
- Consider the relationship between neural functioning and positive mental states
- Understand the contribution to wellbeing played by elements of the nervous system
- Appreciate the importance of expressions of the body, such as dance, art and music
List of Topics…
- Psychosomatic and somatopsychic effects
- Biochemical ‘building blocks’
- Genetics and gene therapy
- Neural networks
- Electroencephalography and neurofeedback
- The nervous system
- The ‘fight/flight’ response
- Physical activity and exercise
- Phenomenology and ‘the gaze’
- Dance and movement
- Art and ...