Applied Crisis Communication and Crisis Management: Cases and Exercises
Publication Year: 2014
This book guides students through cases and exercises that explore crisis communication and management in action and build the necessary skills for effective crisis management. In the first two chapters, the author W. Timothy Coombs introduces key theories and principles in crisis communication, which the students apply through analysis of 17 cases drawn from recent headlines. The cases are explored from pre-crisis, mid-crisis, and post-crisis perspectives, and include a range of predominant crisis scenarios from product recalls to lawsuits to environmental disasters. Exercises are included to help students apply concepts from crisis communication and management such as crisis threat assessment and the utility of social media in scanning for crisis warning signs. The appendix includes sample crisis management plans, sample crisis response strategy templates, and ...
- Front Matter
- Back Matter
- Subject Index
- Chapter 1: A Short Introduction to the Case Study Method
- Chapter 2: Crisis Capsules
- Chapter 3: Pampers and Dry Max Chemical Burn Rumor
- Chapter 4: Hershey, Cocoa, and Child Slavery/Labor Abuse
- Chapter 5: Cadbury Salmonella Recall
- Chapter 6: Peanut Butter Paste Recall of 2009
- Chapter 7: Tetra Pak, Nestlé, and ITX
- Chapter 8: Nestlé and Greenpeace Disagree Over Palm Oil Sourcing
- Chapter 9: Carrefour, China, and the Olympic Torch Relay
- Chapter 10: Sparboe Farms and McDonald's Part Company over Animal Cruelty
- Chapter 11: BP Texas City Explosion
- Chapter 12: Sigg and BPA
- Chapter 13: West Pharmaceutical Services' Dust Explosion
- Chapter 14: Jensen Farm, Listeria, and Cantaloupe
- Chapter 15: Chick-fil-A and the Dangers of Social Issues
- Chapter 16: The Bhopal Tragedy
- Chapter 17: Odwalla and E. Coli
- Chapter 18: ValuJet Flight 592 and the End of a Brand
- Chapter 19: Greenpeace Pressures H&M to Detox the Garment Industry
SAGE Publications, Inc.
2455 Teller Road
Thousand Oaks, California 91320
SAGE Publications Ltd.
1 Oliver's Yard
55 City Road
London EC1Y 1SP
SAGE Publications India Pvt. Ltd.
B 1/I 1 Mohan Cooperative Industrial Area
Mathura Road, New Delhi 110 044
SAGE Publications Asia-Pacific Pte. Ltd.
3 Church Street
#10-04 Samsung Hub
Copyright © 2014 by SAGE Publications, Inc.
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Printed in the United States of America
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
Coombs, W. Timothy.
Applied crisis communication and crisis management: cases and exercises / W. Timothy Coombs, University of Central Florida.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1. Crisis management. 2. Business communication. 3. Management. I. Title.
This book is printed on acid-free paper.
13 14 15 16 17 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Acquisitions Editor: Matthew Byrnie
Editorial Assistant: Stephanie Palermini
Production Editor: Olivia Weber-Stenis
Copy Editor: Patrice Sutton
Typesetter: C & M Digitals (P) Ltd.
Proofreader: Sally Jaskold
Indexer: Diggs Publication Services
Cover Designer: Janet Kiesel
Graphic Designer: Cristina Kubota
Marketing Manager: Liz Thornton
About the Authors