Previous Chapter Chapter 6: The Criminal Exploitation Of Natural Resources Next Chapter
Chapter 6: The Criminal Exploitation Of Natural Resources
By the end of this chapter you should:
- Have a firm understanding of the factors involved in the criminal exploitation of natural resources.
- Understand the links between the legal and illegal oil and gas extraction industries and why there are criminological concerns about industry practices.
- Understand how and why globalization is a factor in the continuing illegal exploitation of natural resources such as oil, gas and timber and why corruption is considered to be endemic in these industries.
- Understand the concept of biopiracy and why this constitutes a crime of the powerful that impacts negatively on the rights of indigenous communities and those living in the Global South.
- Understand the extent to which consumer demand combined with weak ...