Previous Chapter Chapter 3: the causes of environmental crime and criminality Next Chapter
Chapter 3: the causes of environmental crime and criminality
By the end of this chapter you should:
- Understand the varied nature of environmental criminality and its causes.
- Have a firm understanding of the key theories that explain environmental offending and the contexts in which they can and should be applied.
- Understand key debates concerning environmental criminality and its causes.
- Understand key debates on environmental offending as deliberate, accidental or unintended and on non-compliance as a form of entrepreneurship.
- Understand the distinction between criminality and regulatory or technical breaches and how behaviour that infringes different types of legislation are viewed.
This chapter discusses the causes of environmental criminality by examining key debates concerning the reasons why environmental crimes occur, as well as theoretical discussions on environmental offending. ...