This is the definitive introduction to coaching and mentoring, written by an experienced and multidisciplinary team. Taking you all the way through from the emerging theory to informed practice, the book covers: • Skills, purposes and outcomes of coaching and mentoring processes • The many settings in which they take place – public, private and voluntary • Coaching and mentoring’s evidence base and how it is assessed • The professionalization of coaching and mentoring and a move towards integration. Supported by a wide range of case studies, activities, further questions and topics for discussion, this book is a comprehensive but accessible introduction. The authors take a critical approach and go beyond the basics, to support your development as a critically reflective practitioner. It is essential reading for those studying coaching and mentoring, and professionals looking to integrate coaching and mentoring into their organizations.
Chapter 3: Coaching and Mentoring Process
Coaching and Mentoring Process
- Context as an influencing factor
- Considering purpose, perspective and process in coaching and mentoring
- The coaching and mentoring process: Some concluding comments
Context, self-narrative, relational narrative, purpose, perspectives, process, architecture
After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Identify the main impact of the context for the work on the process of coaching and mentoring
- Distinguish between the purpose of coaching and mentoring, the perspectives that inform the work and the process used to assist clients
- Consider the architecture that governs your work – steps in your process
- Reflect upon the difference between a personal (self-)narrative of your process and a relational narrative emerging in the process of working
In the previous chapter, we reviewed some of the psychological frameworks that influence ...