Division of School Psychology (Division 16)
The Division of School Psychologists was one of the original 18 divisions created during the 1945 reorganization of the American Psychological Association (APA). In an effort to be inclusive of university faculty, the title of the Division was subsequently modified to be the Division of School Psychology, and is commonly referred to as Division 16 (see the Division 16 timeline at the end of this entry).
The objectives of Division 16 are:
- To promote and maintain high standards of professional education
- To create scientific and scholarly knowledge
- To promote the practice of psychology within the schools and other settings through collaboration/cooperation with individuals, groups, and organizations
- To support ethical and social responsibilities of the specialty
- To encourage opportunities for ethnic minority participation
- To encourage and effect publications, communications, and conferences regarding the ...