• Entry
  • Reader's guide
  • Entries A-Z
  • Subject index

The Republic of Haiti occupies the western half of the Caribbean island of Hispaniola, which it shares with the Dominican Republic. On the surface, the most popular religion in Haiti is Christianity, though most Haitians also practice forms of the Afro-Caribbean religion known as Vodou. About 80% of Haitians claim to be Roman Catholic, while most of the other 20% claim various forms of Protestantism (10% Baptist, 1% Congregational, 1% Seventh-Day Adventist, 4% Pentecostal/Evangelical). Though Islam was present in Haiti from the start, there has been a recent surge of Islam and Buddhism—sharing about 3% between them—mainly among immigrants in Port-au-Prince. Fleeing Nazi persecution in Germany, Jews came in considerable numbers to Haiti, and recently there has been an influx of Jewish immigrants, now totaling ...

    • Loading...
    locked icon

    Sign in to access this content

    Get a 30 day FREE TRIAL

    • Watch videos from a variety of sources bringing classroom topics to life
    • Read modern, diverse business cases
    • Explore hundreds of books and reference titles