Although referring to the entertainment conglomerate founded by Walt Disney, in cultural terms, Disney and Disneyfication have come to represent immersive ways of structuring consumption experiences. Walt Disney, the founder of the Disney entertainment empire, was born in 1901 and died in 1966. Disney and Disneyfication have shaped consumer culture—especially in the entertainment arena—in major and often defining ways.
Historical Disney Milestones
The entire list of culture-shaping events from Disney enterprises could be rather long. Even a short list, however, should include the following milestones:
- 1928: first two Mickey Mouse short films released
- 1937: other key characters—Donald Duck, Pluto, Goofy, and so forth—introduced; also, first animated feature film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs released
- 1950: Disney television special launched
- 1955: Disneyland opens in Anaheim, California
- 1971: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom ...