Questions of sexuality and gender affect everyone and therefore have an inevitable relevance in the consulting room. Yet with interpretations and manifestations of both varying greatly from person to person, understanding the inherent complexities of sexuality and gender can be a daunting task for the health professional. Breaking down these complexities this practical guide familiarises the reader with all of the common and many of the less common sexualities, genders and relationship forms, and explains experiences and issues relating to each. The book contains: -Explanations of various forms of sexuality, gender and relationship structures; -Common concerns relating to specific groups; -Key practises relating to specific groups; -The treatment of specific groups in contemporary Western society; -Details of some rules and ideals that are commonly found within specific groups; -Suggestions for professional practice with these groups
Ideal for all members of the multidisciplinary team, this accessible book is relevant to practitioners across theoretical backgrounds. Whether you are a trainee or qualified psychotherapist, counsellor, nurse, medic, psychiatrist, social worker or applied psychologist, this is a vital text for your professional practice.
CHRISTINA RICHARDS is Senior Specialist Psychology Associate at the West London Mental Health NHS Trust (Charing Cross) Gender Identity Clinic.
MEG BARKER is a senior lecturer in psychology at the Open University and a sex and relationship therapist.
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Section 1: Gender Practices and Identities
- Chapter 2: Transgender (Trans) – Living a Different Gender from That Assigned at Birth
- Chapter 3: Intersex/Diversity of Sexual Development (DSD)
- Chapter 4: Cisgender – Living in the Gender Assigned at Birth
- Chapter 5: Further Genders
- Section 2: Sexuality: Practices and Identities
- Chapter 6: Bondage and Discipline, Dominance and Submission, and Sadomasochism (BDSM)/Kink
- Chapter 7: Asexuality
- Chapter 8: Bisexuality
- Chapter 9: Lesbian and Gay Sexuality
- Chapter 10: Heterosexuality
- Chapter 11: Cross-Dressing
- Chapter 12: Further Sexualities
- Section 3: Relationship Structures
- Chapter 13: Monogamy
- Chapter 14: Non-Monogamy