‘This book is refreshing and distinctive. It takes the individual as the starting-point and builds outwards from there, to the vital but often neglected interpersonal dimension and the turbulent contexts of modern education. Vignettes help to make the theory concrete and activities bring the reader right into the frame.’ – Ron Glatter, Emeritus Professor of Educational Administration and Management, The Open University and Hon. President of BELMAS
Effective leadership combines organisational skills and personal qualities. Building on notions of leadership at all levels, this book contains an invaluable bank of creative ideas to help teachers already in management positions, as well as those just starting out, to reflect on their personal and leadership development.
With a focus on organisational improvement and leading strategically within changing policy contexts, chapters interrogate key leadership issues such as managing people, values and context. Examples from the UK and internationally further demonstrate how to develop as a successful and sustainable leader.
Content includes: the influence of local and national contexts; accountability; working with stakeholders across boundaries and borders; approaches to change; becoming a strategic leader; the educational leader as researcher.
This is an essential resource for practising and aspiring educational leaders and managers and students on postgraduate or personal development courses, in the UK and internationally.
- Section 1: Evolving as an Educational Leader and Manager
- Chapter 1: Becoming and Staying an Educational Leader
- Chapter 2: Values
- Chapter 3: Ways of Thinking About Leadership
- Chapter 4: Evolving as a Leader – Working with What You Have
- Chapter 5: Organisations and Leadership
- Further Reading for Section 1
- Section 2: Leaders and the Context
- Chapter 6: Power in Context
- Chapter 7: Crafting the Context
- Chapter 8: Leadership Development in Teams
- Chapter 9: Personal Leadership Challenges
- Further Reading for Section 2
- Section 3: Leading Across Boundaries
- Chapter 10: Boundaries and Change
- Chapter 11: Strategic Leadership, Change and Communities
- Chapter 12: Managing Stakeholders and Partnership Boundaries
- Chapter 13: Knowing Your Own Boundaries – The Capable Leader
- Further Reading for Section 3
- Section 4: The Educational Leader as Researcher
- Chapter 14: Becoming a Leadership Researcher
- Chapter 15: Further Study – Choices and Challenges
- Chapter 16: Researching in Your Own Organisation
- Further Reading for Section 4
- Section 5: Moving Forward
- Chapter 17: The Personal Side of Leadership
- Chapter 18: Leadership Challenges and Opportunities
- Further Reading for Section 5