Previous Chapter Chapter 30: Human Resource Management in the Service Sector Next Chapter

Jody Hoffer Gittell & Rob Seidner

In: The SAGE Handbook of Human Resource Management

Chapter 30: Human Resource Management in the Service Sector

  • Citations
  • Add to My List
  • Text Size

Human Resource Management in the Service Sector
Human resource management in the service sector
Introduction

The service sector now accounts for over 70% of employment in the industrialized economies of the world, with Norway and the United States out front at over 75% of employment (OECD, 2005). Telecommunications, transportation, wholesale/retail, finance, insurance and business services account for about 60% of all employment created in the industrialized economies over the past decade, while community, social and personal services, including health and education, account for the remaining 40%. Looking ahead, this growth is expected to continue, with nearly 20% employment growth expected in services in the next decade in the US, with no change expected in manufacturing employment (US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2006). Given that many existing human ...

Looks like you do not have access to this content.

Login

Don’t know how to login?

Click here for free trial login.

Back to Top

Copy and paste the following HTML into your website