- International Organization
- International Organizations
Southern Cone Common Market (Mercosur/Mercosul)
Mercado Común do Cono Sur
Mercado Comum de Cone Sul
Established: By treaty signed March 26, 1991, in Asunción, Paraguay, by the presidents of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay.
Purpose: To establish a regional “common market of the southern cone” through the harmonization of policies in agriculture, industry, finance, transportation, and other sectors; to promote economic development through expanded extraregional trade and the pursuit of foreign investment.
Headquarters: Montevideo, Uruguay.
Principal Organs: Council of the Common Market, Common Market Group, Joint Parliamentary Commission, Secretariat.
Web site: www.mercosur.int (in Spanish and Portuguese only)
Director of the Secretariat: Agustín Colombo Sierra (Argentina).
Membership (4): Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay.
Associate Members (6): Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela.
Observer (1): Mexico.
Official Languages: Guaraní, Portuguese, Spanish.
Origin and development. The idea of a regional common market was first advanced ...
- African Union (AU)
- Arab League
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM)
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
- Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)
- Council of Europe
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA)
- Group of Eight
- Group of Twenty
- International Criminal Court (ICC)
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Non-Aligned Movement
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
- Pacific Islands Forum (PIF)
- Regional Development Banks
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Southern Cone Common Market (Mercosur/Mercosul)
- The Commonwealth
- The European Union (EU)
- United Nations (UN)
- United Nations: Related Organization
- United Nations: Specialized Agencies
- Western European Union (WEU)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)