- Subject index
"This guide will serve well as a handbook for undergraduate psychology students working on senior projects or theses. Clear, concise, and well organized, the book instructs the student from the beginning of the project to the final draft and offers advice both specific and general."—J. Bailey, CHOICEAnxious about your final year Psychology Project? Having trouble getting started? Your Psychology Project: The Essential Guide for Success clearly maps out all the requirements of a project in psychology. Acting as a definitive survival manual it guides students through every aspect of a psychology project from conception of an idea, to writing up the final draft. It will help students think through the whole research process by bridging the relationship between the research question, the design, and the use of statistical and qualitative analyses. By using clear practical examples this book provides an invaluable insight into applying theory to practice and will equip students with the knowledge, skills and abilty to carry out and write up their thesis project. Written in a clear and engaging manner Your Psychology Project: The Essential Guide for Success should be essential reading for all students undertaking a psychology research project.
Chapter 7: How to Handle the Research Literature
How to Handle the Research Literature
On reading this chapter you should:
- understand the role played by the research literature for psychology as a science;
- know where to search for literature;
- be aware of some of the major journals in psychology;
- be familiar with the major electronic databases of both full-text articles and abstracts;
- be familiar with how to search using the major electronic databases;
- be able to evaluate the quality of internet-based information;
- know how to review and critically evaluate the research literature;
- be able to organise the literature that you have evaluated; and
- understand that a literature search should be conducted multiple times throughout the research process.
This chapter deals with the practicalities of dealing with the research literature effectively. Section 7.1 outlines the role of the research ...