Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 2: Exploring Feelings
- To explore different feelings behind positive and negative situations.
- To explore how we know what people are feeling.
Materials and Preparation
- Pairs of pictures (found on the CD-ROM ‘Pictures’). You should have enough for each child to have one picture. (For use in ‘How are you feeling?’)
- Flipchart sheet with a range of emotional literacy vocabulary on it, for example, angry, disappointed. Choose words that the children have previously encountered. (For use in ‘How are you feeling?’)
- Christmas or birthday cards cut into four pieces (if you have a very small group cut the cards into three pieces). Provide enough for one for each child. (For use in ‘Feelings improvisation’.)
- Use Feelings improvisation (CD-ROM). Cut up the resulting ...