Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 3: Showing Feelings
- To practise two vital elements to being proactive in this context — being brave and trusting others.
- To extend the range of issues requiring solutions.
- To explore solutions and identify the best.
Materials and Preparation
- If you are with deaf children use ‘More challenges’, from the CD-ROM, and cut it up. Alternatively use flipchart ideas from Session 1 that were generated by the children in the ‘Group discussion’.
- Large pieces of paper and pens (for use in ‘More challenges’).
- Glue sticks (for use in ‘More challenges’).
Something Brave I'd Like to Do
Sit in a circle. In this game they are going to challenge themselves to tell the group something brave they would like to try and do. The ‘brave thing’ might be something they need to do to ...