Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 1: Beginnings
- To give the children an opportunity to explore the meaning of the word ‘need’ and how this relates to their lives in general.
- To start to explore how the children feel about being in a (mainstream) classroom.
- To start to express any difficulties they find about being in this environment.
Materials and Preparation
- For the game ‘Something I need …’ use ‘Something I need’ from the CD-ROM. You will need at least enough for one small card each. Cut up.
- Flipchart and pens (for use in ‘Group discussion’).
- Blown up balloon (for ‘Pass a balloon around’).
Introductory Name Game
‘Something I Need …’
Ask the children to seat themselves in a circle around a table. Spread the flashcards out while standing. Tell the children that they are going to choose one ...