Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 2: Exploring Feelings
- To start to explore problems of the day associated with having a poor self-image, through the character of Jake.
- To give the children further opportunities to identify with Jake and so to explore their own feelings.
- To further encourage the children to help each other feel positive by expressing each other's strengths.
Materials and Preparation
- On a flipchart write up different stages of the school day for Jake as a list, for example Jake arrives at school, a literacy lesson, playtime, an art lesson, lunchtime, going home time. (For use in ‘A day in the life of Jake’.)
- A set of small cards for the game ‘Wink murder’ (from the CD-Rom). Cut enough for one card for each child (and staff).
- Camera. ...