Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 1: Beginnings
- To introduce the character of Jake and some facts about his life.
- To introduce two other characters, Deepa and Dan.
- To start to explore Jake's feelings about himself.
- To start to explore other people's feelings towards Jake.
- To start to encourage the children to help each other feel positive by expressing each other's strengths.
Materials and Preparation
- Use ‘Key facts about Jake’ from the CD-ROM. Prepare enough for one for each child or copy the key facts onto a flipchart sheet if that is more appropriate for the children you teach. (For use with ‘Introducing Jake’.)
- Prepare one copy of ‘Key facts about Deepa’(CD-ROM). (For use with ‘Introducing Jake’.)
- Prepare one copy of ‘Key facts about Dan’ (CD-ROM). (For use with ‘In troducing Jake’.)
- A large, long piece of paper. It ...