- Subject index
This book provides an overview essential for a proper understanding of effective approaches to PSHE education in secondary education and the valuable role it can play in promoting the health and wellbeing of adolescents. Coverage includes: • The importance and scope of PSHE education • The theory and research evidence for effective practice in the secondary school • School structures which support effective teaching and learning in PSHE education • Assessment for, and of, learning in PSHE education • The role of visiting experts in PSHE education • Overlaps with pastoral and therapeutic support
Chapter 7: Understanding Risk During Adolescence
Understanding Risk During Adolescence
Through reading and reflecting on the content of this chapter you will begin to:
- explore how being ‘at risk’ and risk taking are related
- understand risk and risk taking behaviour among young people
- reflect on risk taking and brain development in adolescents
- be able to plan and implement effective approaches to risk education within a whole school approach to PSHE education.
Before we start
Draw a picture of someone, who is about your own age, doing something risky. (A stick person will do!)
[Page 152]Now write briefly:
- what is happening in the picture
- what makes it risky
- what you would be doing or saying if you were there while this ...