Previous Chapter Chapter 3: Social Movements, the Public Sphere, Networks Next Chapter
Chapter 3: Social Movements, the Public Sphere, Networks
The argument in this segment will be as follows:
- Social movements represent one of the most dynamic expressions of resistance, as contrasted with more stable and enduring institutions such as unions or parties.1
- Their importance for understanding radical media and oppositional cultures is enormous.
- Movement upsurges appear both to generate and to be stimulated by radical media.2 Conversely, at times when such movements are at a low ebb, the flood of alternative media also subsides.
- However, this is not the end of the matter. Properly understood, the relation between movements and radical media is not one of base and superstructure but one of dialectical and indeed acute interdependence.
- The second related question is triangular: the connections between social movements, ...