Previous Chapter Chapter 1: Popular Culture, Audiences, and Radical Media Next Chapter
Chapter 1: Popular Culture, Audiences, and Radical Media
The argument will be as follows:
- Popular culture is intertwined in many ways with mass culture.
- We should more accurately speak of popular cultures in the plural.
- These are not automatically oppositional or constructive.
- Oppositional cultures also intertwine with both mass and popular cultures.
- Audiences/readers may be defined
- as (sometimes resistant) commercial targets;
- as the necessary “reality-check” on supposed media impact;
- as joint architects of cultural production, this being the primary sense used in this book.
- Radical alternative media constitute the most active form of the active audience and express oppositional strands, overt and covert, within popular cultures.
[Page 4]These are fundamental issues, inasmuch as these various radical alternative media forms are, almost self-evidently, forms of popular and oppositional cultural expression. Indeed, as we ...