- Subject index
The Second Edition of Preventing and Reducing Juvenile Delinquency: A Comprehensive Framework aims to inform students about the latest research and the most promising and effective programs and provides a wealth of information for understanding, preventing and controlling juvenile delinquency. Key Features
- Examines the history of current juvenile justice system policies and practices, including the juvenile violence “epidemic”
- Discusses key myths about juvenile violence and the ability of the juvenile justice system to handle modern-day juvenile delinquents
- Applies developmental theories of juvenile delinquency to understanding how juvenile offender careers evolve
- Reviews effective prevention and rehabilitation programs and what does not work
- Presents a comprehensive framework for building a continuum of effective programs
Intended Audience: This is an ideal supplementary text for undergraduate and graduate courses in juvenile delinquency, juvenile justice, and ...
Chapter 5: Juvenile Offender Careers
Juvenile Offender Careers
In the previous chapter we demonstrated how risk factors can operate in key stages of development to produce deviant outcomes, namely, juvenile delinquency and gang involvement. In this chapter we examine various types of juvenile offender careers that evolve from the delinquent developmental process. All offenders do not have similar offense histories. They differ on several dimensions with age, such as the length of the delinquent career, the frequency of offending, the seriousness of the offenses that are committed, and desistance patterns.
A key issue in criminology concerns the most valid ways of characterizing offender careers. For many years, research suggested that offenders demonstrate such diversity in offenses over the life course that they could not be categorized into mutually exclusive ...